- 1 Korean Chicken bursting with savory sweet warmth that’s straightforward to make at house!
- 2 KOREAN CHICKEN RECIPE
- 3 Components for Korean Chicken Marinade
- 4 WHAT IS GOCHUJANG?
- 5 WHERE CAN I BUY GOCHUJANG?
- 6 WHAT CUT OF CHICKEN IS BEST?
- 7 HOW SPICY IS THIS KOREAN CHICKEN?
- 8 HOW DO YOU MAKE KOREAN SPICY CHICKEN?
- 9 The best way to prepare dinner Korean BBQ Chicken
- 10 The right way to make Sticky Korean Chicken
- 11 TIPS FOR KOREAN CHICKEN RECIPE
- 12 What Sides do I serve with Korean BBQ Chicken?
- 13 CAN I PREPARE KOREAN CHICKEN RECIPE AHEAD OF TIME?
- 14 CAN I FREEZE KOREAN BBQ CHICKEN?
- 15 Need to do this Korean Chicken RECIPE?
Korean Chicken bursting with savory sweet warmth that’s straightforward to make at house!
This Korean Chicken recipe is out of this world – and approach easier, less messy and more healthy than Korean Fried Chicken – but with ALL the flavor. The Korean spicy hen is bathed in a spicy, savory marinade spiked with soy sauce, honey, rice wine, garlic, ginger, and kicking gochujang. The spicy, sweet, and savory notes are completely addicting. You’ll be able to prepare dinner the Korean Chicken recipe on the grill, on the stove or in the oven – for a simple marinate and prepare dinner hen dinner that’s destined to grow to be a year-round favorite.
Korean Chicken is characterised by the right blend of spicy and savory with a touch of sweetness. It’s one among my favourite taste profiles because of the gochujang (Korean chili sauce) which delivers bold, complicated flavors in only one ingredient. Meaning this Korean Chicken recipe is tremendous straightforward to make with much less elements but boasts big aromatic flavors that ship a very addictive outcome.
Listed here are extra causes to like this Korean Spicy Chicken:
- Straightforward: marinate and prepare dinner!
- Simple elements: grab some gochujang at your grocery retailer and now you have got ALL the elements to make this Korean Chicken recipe any time.
- FLAVOR! you may be blow away at this flavor bomb.
- Versatile: you’ll be able to prepare dinner this Korean hen recipe on the range, grill, or oven AND customise the warmth.
- JUICY and so TENDER: the marinade tenderizes the hen leaving it incredibly moist and flavorful.
- Freezer pleasant: you possibly can freeze the hen in the marinade for a simple defrost and prepare dinner dinner or freeze it after cooking for a simple thaw and reheat dinner.
Components for Korean Chicken Marinade
A lot of the elements
for this Korean hen recipe are pantry staples, except perhaps gochujang BUT
it can be simply found at your grocery retailer (more on that later). You’ll need:
- Soy Sauce. All the time use much less sodium soy sauce otherwise your hen will probably be too salty. I recommend Kikkoman for probably the most rounded flavor.
- Honey. Delicate clover honey will do the trick.
- Brown sugar. You might also substitute granulated sugar if that’s all you’ve. Both the honey and brown sugar are wanted to stability the savory soy sauce and spicy chili paste.
- Sesame Oil. Is comprised of sesame seeds and provides a wonderful nutty taste however chances are you’ll substitute vegetable oil. I don’t advocate olive oil as a result of we would like an oil with a high smoking level.
- Ginger. Adds a wonderful, virtually pepper kick. You will want one tablespoon freshly grated ginger or you could substitute with 3/4 teaspoon powdered ginger.
- Garlic. This Korean Chicken makes use of 4 garlic cloves but chances are you’ll use kind of to taste.
- Rice Wine. Rice wine should grow to be a pantry staple in case you do much Asian cooking as a result of it’s used ALL the time. Rice wine is NOT rice vinegar- DO NOT change them out. Rice wine adds a sweetness and depth of taste whereas also tenderizing the hen. Rice vinegar, then again will add an acidic flavor.
- Where do I Purchase Rice Wine? I exploit “Kikkoman Aji-Mirin: Sweet Cooking Rice Seasoning” which is usually found in the Asian part of most grocery stores or you’ll be able to Amazon it. I extremely recommend you google image before you head off to the grocery retailer so you understand precisely what you’re on the lookout for. The most effective substitute for rice wine is pale dry sherry.
- Gochujang. Gochujang is a spicy Korean pink chili paste that places other chili pastes to disgrace. Do NOT substitute with another chili paste and anticipate the same results.
Let’s speak a bit of extra about Gochujang because
it’s the quintessential ingredient in this Korean Chicken recipe. It provides a
ton of flavor to the hen and balances the sweet notes of the brown sugar
and rice wine.
Gochujang is a Korean
pink chili paste and my FAVORITE chili paste. It is primarily made out of pink chilies,
glutinous rice and soy beans. What units this chili paste aside is that
it isn’t simply spicy, but boasts extra of a posh, savory, spicy, sweet warmth –
sort of like a spicy Asian BBQ sauce. The sweetness comes from the starch of
cooked glutinous rice which imparts its distinctly fantastic flavor.
CAN I BUY GOCHUJANG?
Gochujang is the primary
flavor in this Korean BBQ Chicken, so please don’t substitute it for some other
ingredient. Thankfully, you shouldn’t have to worry about that because Korean
and different Asian components are increasingly straightforward to seek out at your local grocery
retailer and Amazon.
For this Korean Chicken, I exploit Annie Chun’s Gochujang Sauce.
It’s situated in the Asian part of my grocery retailer, however it’s also possible to simply
buy it on Amazon (LOVE Amazon prime!). I do advocate wanting to see
what Annie Chun’s Gochujang Sauce seems to be like so you’ll be able to simply spot
it at the grocery retailer (not an affiliate, simply will make your life easier).
In the event you stay by an Asian or Korean Market, look for Chung Jung One Sunchang Scorching Pepper Paste Gold (Gochujang). It’s also possible to purchase it on Amazon.
In addition to this Korean Spicy Chicken recipe, I additionally use gochujang in my Korean Tacos, Korean Meatballs, Korean Spicy Noodles, Korean Beef Bulgogi and Korean Beef Bowls, so you’ll have loads of scrumptious alternatives to use it up!
WHAT CUT OF CHICKEN IS BEST?
I know lots of you’ll ask in the event you
can use hen breasts for this Korean Chicken recipe as an alternative of hen
thighs– and the answer is sure! I selected hen thighs because they are
extra commonly used in genuine Korean Chicken, are inherently juicier and reheat
higher but hen
breasts will still work
When you select to make use of hen breasts then take care to pound them to a fair thickness before marinating. In case your hen breasts are extra-large, slice them by way of the equator to create fillets. You don’t need giant hen breasts because the honey in the marinade will trigger the surface of the hen to burn before it’s cooked by way of, especially on the grill or stove.
SPICY IS THIS KOREAN CHICKEN?
This Korean Spicy Chicken is meant to
have a kick. That being stated, you possibly can
control the heat of this Korean Chicken recipe by adding kind of of the
reserved marinade (that turns into the dip/sauce) to the hen after it is
This sauce is sort of spicy so it should make your
Korean Chicken that a lot spicier. For less
spicy hen, don’t use the sauce.
Should you already know you don’t like spicy
foods then start with simply 2 tablespoons gochujang and use just one tablespoon
DO YOU MAKE KOREAN SPICY CHICKEN?
This Korean Spicy Chicken is very simple
make – pound the hen, marinate the hen, prepare dinner the hen! Right here’s how:
- Pound Chicken. Whether you employ hen breasts or hen thighs for this Korean Chicken recipe, it would be best to pound the hen to a fair thickness. Pounding hen to a fair thickens not solely helps tenderize the hen however ensures the hen cooks evenly. Even cooking eliminates dryness brought about from overcooking the hen so as to ensure the thickest part is cooked on the peril of the thinnest.
- Whisk marinade collectively. Whisk together all the marinade elements in a big bowl or Ziploc bag (no matter you’ll marinate your hen in).
- Reserve a part of the marinade. Remove ½ cup of the marinade. This can grow to be your sauce or dip for the cooked Korean BBQ Chicken.
- Add hen to marinade. Add hen and massage marinade into hen so it’s evenly coated/coated.
- Marinate. Marinate Korean Chicken for Four to eight hours. I normal marinate this hen for 4 hours and it is seeping with taste.
- Let hen relaxation. Let your hen sit at room temperature for 15-30 minutes earlier than cooking so it should prepare dinner more evenly.
- Prepare dinner. You’ll be able to prepare dinner the Korean Spicy Chicken on the grill, stovetop or within the oven – all work fabulously nicely.
The best way to prepare dinner Korean BBQ Chicken
HOW TO COOK KOREAN CHICKEN ON THE GRILL
technique of cooking is totally as much as you! To impart that smoky Korean BBQ Chicken
flavor, nevertheless, go for the grill. Just
understand that because of the honey in the marinade, the Korean Chicken can char
shortly, so ensure you grease the grill extremely properly and solely use thinly
pounded items of hen to allow them to prepare dinner by means of before the surface of the hen
- Generously grease and preheat the grill to
medium heat, 375-450°F.
- Grill hen, coated for 5-7 minutes per
aspect, or until hen is cooked via and an inner temperature reaches 165 levels F.
HOW TO COOK KOREAN CHICKEN IN THE OVEN
I really like the oven technique for cooking Korean Chicken as a result of it means you possibly can pop it in the oven and utterly overlook about it when you prep veggies, and so on. The oven technique additionally means we get to take pleasure in Korean Chicken year-round!
- Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with
- Add hen to baking sheet in order that they aren’t touching.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or till
an inner temperature reaches 165 levels F.
HOW TO COOK KOREAN CHICKEN ON THE STOVE
Upon first glance, the skillet technique seems to be
like the fastest method to prepare dinner Korean Chicken BUT your hen will possible not
fit in one skillet without overcrowding so that you’ll have to work in batches or use
- Heat a big skillet over medium high heat.
- Take away hen from marinade and let excess marinade drip off. Add hen and prepare dinner, undisturbed for 3-Four minutes, or till nicely browned on one aspect.
- Turn hen over, cover, and scale back warmth to medium. Prepare dinner roughly Three-5 extra minutes (depending on thickness of hen), or until hen is cooked via.
The right way to make Sticky Korean Chicken
I don’t often thicken the reserved sauce after cooking and use it more as a thin glaze or dip. If you need sticky Korean hen, nevertheless, simply whisk in 1 teaspoon cornstarch and 1/Four cup water and simmer into a sticky glaze.
TIPS FOR KOREAN CHICKEN RECIPE
This Korean Chicken recipe is SO straightforward, so here’s just a reminder
of my most necessary ideas and tips:
- Pound hen to a good thickness for probably the most tender and evenly cooked hen. In case you don’t have a meat mallet, you need to use the aspect of a can. I place my hen within the ziploc bag I’m going to marinate it in for convenience.
- Let the hen marinate to drink up the robust fragrant flavors for at the very least Four hours.
- Use hen thighs for the juiciest hen.
- DON’T substitute the gochujang for some other chili paste.
- Let hen sit at room temperature for 15 minutes before cooking.
- Use little or no sauce for much less spicy hen and more sauce for spicier hen.
- All the time use a meat thermometer so that you don’t undercook, OR overcook the hen.
- Let hen rest 5 minutes before slicing so it has time to reabsorb the juices that have pushed in the direction of the surface of the hen. Should you reduce into it instantly after cooking, helpful, moisture-giving juices will run out.
What Sides do I serve with Korean
My favorite sides to serve with Spicy Korean Chicken are steamed rice and stir-fried
veggies. The hen is so flavorful, that both the rice and vegetables supply
a neutral, textural counterpart.
Listed here are some extra delicious choices to serve together with your straightforward Korean Chicken recipe:
- Rice: White rice,
brown rice, quinoa, cauliflower rice, broccoli rice or Pineapple
- Stir Fry Veggies. You
can stir fry any veggies your heart wishes from broccoli, to bell
peppers, to mushrooms, to carrots, and so forth. or you’ll be able to serve with roasted
veggies akin to Roasted
Brussels Sprouts, or Roasted
Veggies. You should purchase pre-chopped veggies good for
stir fries or use a frozen stir-fry mix or steam-in-the-bag
microwavable frozen veggies.
- Salad. You’ll be able to serve
Korean Chicken with Crunchy Asian
Salad, Chinese language Salad, Asian
Pineapple Salad or add the hen directly to the salad to make
a hen salad.
- Soups: Miso Soup, Thai
Noodle Soup, Curried
Butternut Squash Soup, Thai
- Fruit: Pineapple, Grilled
Pineapple, Summer time
Fruit Salad, Good
Fruit Salad, Creamy
- Appetizers. For
an Asian feast, Korean BBQ Chicken is scrumptious with Wontons, Asian Salad, Potstickers, Wonton Soup and Chinese
Chicken Egg Rolls.
CAN I PREPARE KOREAN CHICKEN
RECIPE AHEAD OF TIME?
This Korean Spicy Chicken is simply as scrumptious the subsequent day, especially should you use hen thighs. You might retailer cooked hen in an hermetic container in the fridge for 5-7 days. Use leftover Korean BBQ Chicken warmed up with some sauce or serve it cold on a salad, sandwich, wraps and so forth.
CAN I FREEZE KOREAN BBQ CHICKEN?
Yes! You possibly can freeze either the marinating Korean Chicken or the cooked hen.
- Marinade: Add hen to marinade in a freezer protected bag or container. Freeze for up to 3 months. The hen will marinate as it defrosts.
- Chicken: After you might have cooked the hen, let it cool utterly then switch it to an hermetic container or plastic freezer bag and squeeze out any extra air. Freeze for two to 3 months.
HOW TO REHEAT KOREAN CHICKEN
- From frozen: thaw Korean
Spicy Chicken within the refrigerator overnight. You can even defrost in
the microwave however take care to defrost slowly so your hen doesn’t grow to be
- From fridge: you’ll be able to warm
hen in a skillet on the stove prime or within the microwave at 30 second
intervals. Take care to not overcook or it’ll turn out to be dry.
You may as well reheat within the oven for 10 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit
or just until warmed by means of.
Need to do this Korean Chicken RECIPE?
Pin it to your CHICKEN, GRILL or DINNER Board to SAVE for later!
Discover me on Pinterest for extra nice recipes! I am all the time pinning :)!
©Carlsbad Cravings by CarlsbadCravings.com
Spicy Korean Chicken
Korean Chicken bursting with savory candy warmth that’s straightforward to make at house! This Korean Chicken recipe is out of this world – and method easier, less messy and more healthy than Korean Fried Chicken – however with ALL the flavor. The Korean spicy hen is bathed in a spicy, savory marinade spiked with soy sauce, honey, rice wine, garlic, ginger, and kicking gochujang. The spicy, candy, and savory notes are completely addicting. You possibly can prepare dinner the Korean Chicken recipe on the grill, on the stove or within the oven – for a simple marinate and prepare dinner hen dinner that’s destined to grow to be a year-round favourite.
Price this recipe!
- 2- 2 1/2 kilos boneless skinless hen thighs trimmed pounded to a good thickness
Marinade and Glaze
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- Three-Four tablespoons Gochujang see notes
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice wine might substitute dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- Four garlic cloves minced
- toasted sesame seeds
- green onions
Marinade and Glaze
Fee this recipe!
Whisk collectively the marinade elements in a large bowl or freezer bag. Take away 1/2 cup (it will develop into sauce). Add hen to marinade, flip to coat, cowl and marinate in the refrigerator Four-Eight hours.
When ready to prepare dinner, let hen sit at room temperature for 15-30 minutes.
Generously grease and preheat the grill to medium warmth, 375-450°F.
Grill hen, coated for 5-7 minutes per aspect, or until hen is cooked by means of. (An inserted thermometer ought to read 165 degrees F.)
Let hen rest 5 minutes earlier than slicing.
Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
Add hen to baking sheet in order that they aren’t touching.
Bake at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes or until inner temperature reaches 165 levels F.
Let hen relaxation 5 minutes earlier than slicing.
Warmth a large nonstick skillet over medium excessive warmth (you’ll probably have to work in batches).
Remove hen from marinade and let excess marinade drip off. Add hen and prepare dinner, undisturbed for Three-Four minutes, or until nicely browned on one aspect.
Turn hen over, cowl, and scale back warmth to medium. Prepare dinner approximately Three-5 extra minutes (depending on thickness of hen), or till hen is cooked by way of. Let hen relaxation 5 minutes before slicing.
WHERE TO PURCHASE GOCHUJANG
- Gochujang is the first taste in this Korean BBQ Chicken, so please DO NOT substitute it for some other ingredient.
- Annie Chun’s Gochujang Sauce must be straightforward to seek out in the Asian section of your grocery store or you should purchase it on Amazon. . I do advocate trying to see what Annie Chun’s Gochujang Sauce appears like so you possibly can easily spot it at the grocery store (not an affiliate, simply will make your life simpler).
- For those who reside by an Asian or Korean Market, search for Chung Jung One Sunchang Scorching Pepper Paste Gold (Gochujang). It’s also possible to buy it on Amazon.
HOW TO CUSTOMIZE SPICE LEVEL
- This Korean Spicy Chicken is supposed to have a kick. That being stated, you’ll be able to control the heat by adding kind of of the reserved marinade (that becomes the dip/sauce) to the hen after it’s cooked.
- This sauce is sort of spicy so it’ll make your Korean Chicken that a lot spicier. For much less spicy hen, don’t use the sauce.
- For those who already know you don’t like spicy meals then begin with just 2 tablespoons gochujang and use just one tablespoon brown sugar.
Tips on how to make Sticky Korean Chicken
I don’t often thicken the reserved sauce after cooking and use it extra as a thin glaze or dip. If you would like sticky Korean hen, nevertheless, simply whisk in 1 teaspoon cornstarch and 1/4 cup water and simmer right into a sticky glaze.
Carlsbad Cravings© Unique