Using only 6 components, this good angel meals cake bakes up tall, mild, and ethereal. For greatest results, comply with this recipe and video tutorial intently. The fragile texture can only be achieved with specific components and cautious mixing methods.
Welcome to the June Baking Challenge! Prepared for a slice of heaven?
We are not any stranger to decadent and wealthy desserts. However what a few cake recipe the place butter, fat, and egg yolks run away in fright? Meet angel meals cake. Angel food cake is a low fats cake recipe made principally from egg whites, cake flour, and sugar. It’s pristine white on the within with a chewy mild brown crumb across the exterior. What it lacks in butter makes up for in texture. This tall, tender, and timeless cake has a cloud-like crumb and extremely mild flavor.
I’ve revealed angel food cupcakes and an excellent enjoyable sprinkle angel meals cake on my weblog, but now it’s time visit where both originate: basic do-it-yourself angel food cake!
Angel Food Cake Video Tutorial
Let’s dive proper in. First, here’s a video tutorial where I stroll you thru each step. The steps and elements are pretty simple, nevertheless it’s all the time helpful to have a clear visual. 🙂
6 Angel Food Cake Components
You solely need 6 components to make angel food cake. With so little components, perceive that every one is imperative to the cake’s ultimate taste and texture. Here’s the breakdown:
- Granulated Sugar: The recipe begins with granulated sugar. Pulse it in a meals processor to create superfine sugar. Superfine sugar’s granules are the perfect measurement to offer optimum construction for angel food cake. It’s not as coarse as granulated sugar and never as high quality as confectioners’ sugar. Granulated sugar is simply too coarse, while confectioners’ sugar dissolves too shortly within the egg whites.
- Cake Flour: Cake flour is a low protein flour and yields a tender angel meals cake. Do not use all-purpose flour because the cake will taste like white bread…!
- Salt: Adds flavor.
- Egg Whites: You’ll notice there’s no baking powder or baking soda. The egg whites are literally the only leavening ingredient offering all the cake’s rise. Use freshly separated eggs as a result of they aerate the perfect. Carton egg whites or egg whites which were frozen gained’t broaden as a lot in the course of the whipping process, which can negatively have an effect on the rise of your cake. You’ll have a whole lot of leftover egg yolks, so make some lemon curd and serve it with the cake!
- Cream of Tartar: Cream of tartar is an acid and stabilizes the whipped egg whites. With out it, the cake would collapse. Other acids, resembling lemon juice, can work however they aren’t almost as efficient. Cream of tartar is found in the spice aisle and is definitely a standard baking ingredient. I’ve many recipes calling for it!
- Vanilla Extract: Provides flavor.
The right way to Make Good Angel Food Cake
I’m confident this would be the most good angel meals cake to ever hit your lips. We will’t obtain angel food cake perfection at no cost, so ensure you comply with these steps intently.
- Pulse the granulated sugar into superfine sugar. Use a meals processor or blender.
- Set a number of the superfine sugar aside. You’ll add it to the egg whites.
- Add cake flour and salt to meals processor. Pulse them with the remaining sugar. This aerates the dry components.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar together. Beat on medium-low velocity until foamy.
- Slowly add 1 cup of superfine sugar. Flip the mixer up to medium-high and pour within the superfine sugar you set aside.
- Beat into gentle peaks. Whip the egg whites, cream of tartar, and superfine sugar into gentle and lofty peaks. This takes a minimum of 5 minutes.
- Sift and fold in dry components. In 3 additions, sift and fold within the dry components.
- Pour/unfold batter right into a tube pan. Don’t grease the tube pan. Greasing the pan causes the batter to slip down the edges, preventing it from properly rising. In case you already greased it, wash and wipe it utterly clean.
- Bake at 325°F (163°C). A better temperature gained’t properly prepare dinner the cake.
- Cool the wrong way up on a wire rack. If cooled upright, the cake’s personal weight will crush itself. Cool it upside-down on a cooling rack so it holds its shape and air can reach it.
- Run a thin knife across the edges to release. Faucet the pan on the counter a couple of occasions to assist loosen the cake, too.
- Slice with a serrated knife. A daily sharp knife squishes the cake.
Can I exploit a bundt pan for angel food cake? No, do not use a bundt pan for angel food cake. You’ll have a really exhausting time getting it out in a single piece. You need a tube pan which has a flat bottom and straight sides. In case you don’t have one, I recommend this tube pan. It’s comparatively cheap for its great quality! And excellent news: here’s a helpful trick for learn how to bake angel food cake and not using a tube pan.
You want 1 cup (16 Tablespoons) + 2 Tablespoons of cake flour. Feels like an odd amount, however 18 Tablespoons is the exact quantity to deliver sufficient structure to the cake.
Tender Peaks, Not Stiff Peaks
Keep in mind, whip the egg whites into smooth peaks. (Pictured above.) Tender peaks don’t hold a stiff form. As an alternative, they “wilt” back into the combination after a number of seconds. Smooth peaks are the optimum consistency as a result of they’ll continue to increase within the oven. Stiff peaks, then again, signifies that the egg whites have been over-whipped for angel food cake and can possible collapse in the oven.
Essential to recollect: Don’t let a drop of egg yolks into the mixing bowl. Any lingering fats might forestall the egg whites from forming peaks in any respect. Crack eggs over an egg separator into a small bowl, then add the whites one-by-one into the mixing bowl. This manner if the yolk breaks, it doesn’t break immediately within the mixing bowl.
Sift the dry components over the crushed egg whites in a couple of additions, gently folding together after each addition. The objective is to retain as much of the whipped quantity as potential. Pouring the dry components on prime unexpectedly will shortly deflate the egg whites.
The Magic is within the Details
I’ve thrown lots of info at you in this publish, so right here’s a quick summary of all of the essential success ideas. Keep in mind that the magic is all in the particulars.
- Use freshly separated egg whites.
- Pulse granulated sugar into superfine sugar.
- Whip egg whites into gentle peaks, not stiff peaks.
- Sift and gently fold in dry elements.
- Do not grease the tube pan.
- Cool the cake upside-down on a wire rack.
- Use a serrated knife to slice.
Need to make angel food cupcakes? I have you coated. 🙂
Angel food cake doesn’t want to cover beneath frosting, but tastes blissful with recent berries and a dollop of whipped cream! Be happy to dust the highest with confectioners’ sugar, too.
I know what you’re considering: is this cake really value it? The answer is YES. Angel meals cake boasts a texture like no different and once you undergo the method, you’ll perceive the preparation isn’t that troublesome– it’s just a little picky. 😉 Let’s do this!
Be a part of Sally’s Baking Problem
Make my angel meals cake or angel food cupcakes recipe. This recipe requires specific baking instruments and elements, so in the event you’re not into this recipe, right here is the alternate June Baking Challenge:
After you make the cake or alternate recipe, share your photographs all through the month using #sallysbakingchallenge on your public Instagram or Twitter account. (Instagram messages are onerous to trace, so e-mail as an alternative!) Or add a photo to my Facebook page or Facebook group or e-mail it to me. By sharing your photograph, you’re mechanically entered in the $250 giveaway. For a bonus entry, depart a assessment on the recipe under!
Using only 6 elements, this good angel meals cake bakes up tall, mild, and ethereal. For greatest outcomes, learn the recipe in full before starting and have all of your components able to go. Take pleasure in!
- 1 and three/four cups (350g) granulated sugar*
- 1 cup + 2 Tablespoons (130g) cake flour (spoon & leveled)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 giant egg whites, at room temperature*
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 and half teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- non-compulsory: confectioners’ sugar for dusting, whipped cream, and berries
- Modify the oven rack to the lower middle position and preheat oven to 325°F (163°C).
- In a meals processor or blender, pulse the sugar until high-quality and powdery. Remove 1 cup and put aside to use in step three; maintain the remaining contained in the food processor. Add the cake flour and salt to the meals processor. Pulse 5-10 occasions until sugar/flour/salt mixture is aerated and lightweight.
- In a large bowl utilizing a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whip egg whites and cream of tartar collectively on medium-low until foamy, about 1 minute. Change to medium-high and slowly add the 1 cup of sugar you put aside. Whip until delicate peaks type, about 5-6 minutes. See photograph and video above for a visual. Add the vanilla extract, then beat simply till included.
- In three additions, slowly sift the flour combination into the egg white combination utilizing a effective mesh strainer, gently folding with a rubber spatula after each addition. To avoid deflating or a dense cake, don’t add the flour combination abruptly. Sift and very slowly fold in several additions. This is essential! Pour and unfold batter into an ungreased 9 or 10 inch tube pan. Shimmy the pan on the counter to clean down the floor.
- Bake the cake till a toothpick inserted comes out clear, about 40-45 minutes. Rotate the pan midway by means of baking. The cake will stand up very tall while baking. Take away from the oven, then cool the cake utterly upside-down set on a wire rack, about three hours. Once cooled, run a skinny knife across the edges and gently tap the pan on the counter till the cake releases.
- If desired, dust with confectioners’ sugar. Slice the cake with a sharp serrated knife. Common knives can simply squish the cake. Serve with whipped cream and recent berries.
- Store leftovers within the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Make Ahead & Freezing Instructions: Put together the angel food cake in the future prematurely, then cover tightly and store at room temperature in a single day. Angel food cake could be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge, then convey to room temperature earlier than serving.
- Sugar: On this recipe, you employ granulated sugar and pulse it in a food processor to make superfine sugar. When you have superfine sugar or caster sugar, use that. Pulse 3/four cup of it with the dry components in step 2. Use 1 cup of it in step three.
- Egg Whites: I strongly advocate utilizing recent real egg whites as an alternative of egg white substitutes, beforehand frozen egg whites, or egg whites from a carton. Separate the eggs once they’re cold, then convey the egg whites to room temperature. Recent room temperature egg whites whip into the fluffiest quantity. With the extra yolks, make lemon curd or some of these recipes.
- Pan: An angel food cake pan (aka tube pan) is imperative. Don’t use a bundt pan. Angel meals cake’s structure and stability requires the tube pan’s specific specs. Some angel food cake pans include little ft, which makes cooling the cake the wrong way up straightforward. In case your pan has ft, no need to use a wire rack. Whether or not your tube pan has ft or not, cool the cake the wrong way up as directed in step 5.
Adapted from Prepare dinner’s Illustrated
Key phrases: cake, whipped cream